Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Awareness Month 2017
In 2013, the Governors of the States of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia declared “Gullah/Geechee Awareness Month” and “Gullah/Geechee Heritage Month,” respectively. Since that time, the leaders of the Gullah/Geechee Nation have continued the celebration of “Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Awareness Month” by insuring that a series of Gullah/Geechee cultural heritage and history postings are made daily via the Gullah/Geechee Nation’s Facebook Fan page and Tweeted from @GullahGeechee throughout October. Also, annually, a number of celebrations go on in various parts of the Gullah/Geechee Nation at which people can learn from Gullah/Geechee traditionalists about the culture first hand. Some of these include the:
• St. Helena Island Community Market www.sthelenaislandcommunitymarket.com
• Moja Arts Celebration www.mojafestival.com
• Sapelo Island Cultural Day
For those that cannot make it to the Gullah/Geechee Nation to be a part of these activities, they can obtain books, CDs, DVDs, craft items, and even gear to wear at www.GullahGeechee.biz in order to celebrate with the Gullah/Geechee Famlee. They can also tune in to Gullah/Geechee TV at www.GullahGeechee.tv and Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio at www.blogtalkradio.com/gullahgeechee.
Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio launched the month with this broadcast:
On the episode, Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com) provides a detailed history of the foundation of Gullah/Geechee culture and how it is crucial to maintain the cultural base even as people start reversing the path of the “Great Migration” and coming into the area. She interweaves the history of the Middle Passage into the current day activities that keep the channels of history flowing from various points of the African Diaspora into the Gullah/Geechee Nation as Gullah/Geechee continue to make more people aware of their battle to hold onto their land and to their cultural heritage.
Ef bout de Gullah/Geechee hunnuh bin wan kno, disya da de month fa yeddi wha gwine on ya fa sho!
- Posted in: Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Gullah/Geechee Books ♦ Gullah/Geechee Businesses and Industries ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Land Ownership & Rights ♦ Gullah/Geechee Language and Linguistics ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Human Rights ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: celebrations, cultural heritage, events, Geechee, Gullah, Gullah/Geechee Cultural Heritage Awareness Month, Gullah/Geechee Nation, Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio, Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition, Middle Passage, Queen Quet, traditions