Queen Quet of the Gullah/Geechee Nation Keynotes on A New Way of Being with Plants
Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com), Founder of the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition (www.GullahGeechee.net) and Former University of Minnesota Winton Chair and Professor will present “De Earth da We: Gullah/Geechee Nation Plants and Healing Culturally.” This will be an interactive dialogue about the cultural heritage of the Gullah/Geechee Nation on the Sea Islands and the sacredness of plant life and how honoring the earth can heal the community.
This free two-day online event will explore human/plant connections, including ethics in human treatment of plants, plant sentience and communication, and opportunities for developing more respectful and reciprocal relationships between humans and plants.
The goals of this conference are to:
- inspire people to change the ways in which they think about, interact with, and utilize plants so that their actions will be more respectful toward and collaborative with plants
- advance the perspective that plants are much more complex, sentient, and intelligent than is commonly acknowledged
- provide a forum for Indigenous and other perspectives that promote more respectful ways of relating with plants
- help to connect people who are interested in working for more respectful treatment of plants
- encourage and support the development of a network seeking to increase respectful treatment of plants that will continue after the event
- inspire and encourage scholarly emphasis on plant-human relationships
Register at https://www.beingwithplants2021.org/home