Support Social Justice and Climate Action @GullahGeechee
Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ September 16, 2020 ♦ Leave a comment
We pray that you and your families are all safe and well!
A number of issues are facing the Gullah/Geechee Nation from sea level rise and other climate change impacts to an on-slaught of destructionment projects along the coast. All of this is taking place during hurricane season in the midst of a pandemic. So, we would appreciate your support and assistance with a number of things. We gladdee hunnuh dey ya fa yeddi we!
1) Please tune in to the dialogue between Rick Devoe and I today at 3 pm EST: https://gullahgeecheenation.com/2020/09/15/zooming-in-on-sea-grant-and-the-sea-islands/
2) Please register for and invite others to attend the certificated workshop that the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition is hosting as a collaboration with Climate Central:https://gullahgeecheenation.com/2020/09/15/sea-level-rise-and-de-sea-islands-certificated-workshop/
3) Please continue to share the petition in OPPOSITION to the destructionment at Bay Point: http://chng.it/gcmmgqFq We want to have 30,000 signatures before the ZBOA meeting next Thursday evening.
You can also purchase T-shirts to support our effort at www.GullahGeechee.biz
4) Help us reach $30K on GoFundMe this month for our Gullah/Geechee Land & Legacy Fund. Please donate or donate again and get others to do so at https://www.gofundme.com/f/gullahgeechee-land-legacy-fund . Tenki Tenki!
5) Please get in comments in OPPOSITION to Alternative 1 on the Highway 41 Road Project in Charleston, SC TODAY: https://gullahgeecheenation.com/2020/09/05/help-save-the-gullahgeechee-communities-of-phillips-and-7-mile/
6) Please tune into and share the enlightening climate change dialogues with Gullah/Geechee Sustainability Think Tank members Kate Cell of the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) and Dan Rizza of Climate Central:
7) Please sign the petition in OPPOSITION to sand mining on Daufuskie Island and pass on the petition:https://www.change.org/p/beaufort-county-sc-zoning-board-please-help-us-protect-gullah-and-historic-properties-from-overreaching-development-in-sc
8) The Beaufort County Planning Department is hosting a virtual community meeting Thursday, September 17th at 6 p.m., to give the public an opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed County Comprehensive Plan Update. The Comprehensive Plan is a tool used by the County to prioritize areas of growth, community services, infrastructure, economic development, housing, natural resources, cultural resources, and other elements. The virtual community meeting will include a presentation on what the Comprehensive Plan is and will include a survey that will help set priorities around how the County can best accommodate growth, protect the natural environment, support economic development efforts and promote cultural diversity.
Your input is critical to creating a successful Comprehensive Plan as it will shape County policies for the next 10 years.
TO REGISTER FOR THE VIRTUAL MEETING, VISIT:
9) Please become dues paying members of the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition or renew your dues via www.GullahGeechee.biz.
Tenki Tenki fa supportin and standin wid we @GullahGeechee!
Stay safe and healthy!
Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition
- Posted in: Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Climate Advocacy and Climate Change ♦ Emergency Resources and Storm and Disaster Preparation and Restoration ♦ Environmental Justice ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Fishing Association ♦ Gullah/Geechee Health and Healing ♦ Gullah/Geechee Land Ownership & Rights ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Human Rights ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: climate action, climate change, cultural heritage, environmental justice, Geechee, Gullah, Gullah/Geechee Nation, Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition, land rights, petitions, protest, Queen Quet, Sea Islands, sea level rise, social justice, sustainability, water rights