Gullah/Geechee Holy Days Celebration Hosted by Barnes and Noble
Gullah/Geechee Holy Days Celebration
Hosted by Barnes and Noble
to Support Destiny Community Outreach
The Destiny Community Café in North Charleston, SC is a “Pay-What-You-Can” café that has evolved from not only feeding the body, but to also feeding the mind. In October, they did the ribbon cutting for the “Queen Quet Gullah/Geechee Legacy Library.” This effort is being supported by Barnes and Noble. The West Ashley store in Charleston and the North Charleston store are locations where donations of Gullah/Geechee and Black history books for all ages can be donated for the library via the “Gullah Geechee” Saturday Series for Destiny Community Café Book Drive.
Stop in to the North Charleston location at 1 pm on November 30th or December 7th for storytelling and crafts while making your donations. Then culminate the season at the West Ashley Barnes and Noble with the “Gullah/Geechee Holy Days Celebration” which will be held from Noon to 3 pm.
The Gullah/Geechee Holy Days Celebration will include
- Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation who will do a Gullah/Geechee holy days presentation and will release two brand new Gullah/Geechee novels.
- Gullah/Geechee traditions keeper, Carolee Holmes Brown of St. Helena Island, SC will have traditional handmade Gullah/Geechee quilts on sale as she creates one on-site.
• Gullah/Geechee painter, Quadré Stuckey will have his artwork and books on sale.
• Sweetgrass artist and drummer, Anastatia Ketchen will lead a special presentation fa de chillun and de famlee.
- Naturally Geechee skin care products will be on sale.
Reserve hunnuh passes at:
Contributions made at these events support Destiny Community Outreach, Inc. Destiny Community Outreach, Inc.’s mission is to assist low-income individuals to become productive, self-sufficient members of our society. If you can’t attend, but want to make a donation,
go to https://www.gofundme.com/f/DestinyCafe
In 2020, the Destiny Community Café in North Charleston, SC cafe will offer “Gullah/Geechee Lunch & Learn” programming including:
* Summer reading sign-up and activities
* Lunchtime storytime
* Bookmobile & bag lunch visits
* Easy arts & crafts
* Lunchtime performers
* Book giveaways
* Lunchtime activities including cooking classes, music, poetry, instruments and crafts such as sweetgrass basketry/ palmetto rose making, rag quilting and painting. They will also host science and invention research sessions.
Ragina Scott Saunders shares a piece of history into the meals in her Gullah/Geechee rooted soul food cuisine. She will offer deciphering Gullah recipes sessions at the bookstores and the café.
For more information, contact Mrs. Ragina Scott Saunders at 843-640-1045 or email
DestinyCommunitycafe@yahoo.com or GullGeeCo@aol.com
Cum celebrate de Gullah/Geechee way and support de
Destiny Community Café!
- Posted in: Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Gullah/Geechee Books ♦ Gullah/Geechee Businesses and Industries ♦ Gullah/Geechee Crafts ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Foodways ♦ Gullah/Geechee Health and Healing ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: Anastatia Ketchens, Barnes and Noble, books, celebration, Charleston, Destiny Community Café, foodways, Geechee, Gullah, gullah geechee nation, Holy Days Celebration, Quadre Stuckey, Queen Quet, Ragina Scott Saunders, SC, South Carolina, West Ashley
Come on out and Support Reading and the Cause.