Gullah/Geechee Nation Springs into Saturday Celebrations!
Cum jayn de Gullah/Geechee Famlee een GA and SC disya April ebee Satdee! The Gullah/Geechee Nation will be welcoming guests from all over the world this April as they host these annual spring celebrations each Saturday:
• Saturday, April 7, 2018 from 10 am to 3 pm “Gullah/Geechee Gold Rice Festival” at the St. Helena Island Community Market
This event will be a celebration filled with food, music, and family fun. Come out and enjoy dancing to music by DJ Kwame Sha of All Mobile Productions™ (AMP™) while dining on traditional Gullah/Geechee rice dishes prepared by Gullah/Geechee Chefs Benjamin Dennis and Carolee Holmes Brown. There will be a number of other Gullah/Geechee crafts items, books, CDs, DVDs, clothing and more on sale. There will be traditional games for the entire family. Cum fa jayn we fa de fuss “Gullah/Geechee Rice Fest” and yeddi bout de richness ob who de #GullahGeechee be!
• Saturday, April 14, 2018 from 11 am to 5 pm “Coastal Cultures Conference 2018”
This is the annual conference sponsored by the Gullah/Geechee Sustainability Think Tank.” This year the conference returns to Hunting Island, SC and will be a living laboratory focused on emergency preparedness and cultural heritage continuation. There entire event is interactive along the shoreline including engagements with the Gullah/Geechee Fishing Association members.
Registration is required in advance at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/coastal-cultures-conference-2018-emergency-preparedness-and-cultural-continuation-in-coastal-tickets-41538499771
• Saturday, April 21, 2018 “The Gathering at Geechee Kunda“
This annual event at Geechee Kunda is for the entire family. Cum jayn we!
• Saturday, April 28, 2018 “Gullah Research Day“
The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) is a member of the Gullah/Geechee Sustainability Think Tank. They will host a celebration with the Gullah/Geechee community on Johns Island to share the research outcomes that they have had. The entire day is free and there will be food and fun for the family.
- Posted in: Carolina Gold Rice ♦ Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Environmental Justice ♦ Gullah/Geechee Books ♦ Gullah/Geechee Businesses and Industries ♦ Gullah/Geechee Crafts ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Fishing Association ♦ Gullah/Geechee Foodways ♦ Gullah/Geechee Health and Healing ♦ Gullah/Geechee Land Ownership & Rights ♦ Gullah/Geechee Language and Linguistics ♦ Gullah/Geechee Music ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Human Rights ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: celebrations, Chef Benjamin Dennis, conference, cuisine, festivals, food, foodways, Geechee, Gullah, Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor, gullah geechee nation, Gullah/Geechee Fishing Association, Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition, Gullah/Geechee Sustainability Think Tank, Queen Quet, Sea Islands