Celebrating #BlackHistory365 @GullahGeechee
Every year the Gullah/Geechee Nation celebrates “Black History Month” via a number of events. However, the continuation of Gullah/Geechee cultural heritage goes on 365-366 days per year. So, the celebration of ourstory which is a living legacy of Black history continues daily. We wan hunnuh chillun fa cum fa jayn we!
- Saturday, February 17, 2018 at Noon Tech Up Step Up at the LAMC Building in North Charleston, SC https://www.facebook.com/events/314115159097289/
- Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6 pm Gullahs of Achievement at the St. Helena Branch Library on St. Helena Island, SC https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullahs-of-achievement-tickets-41537504795
Here is the calendar of major Gullah/Geechee events that we have planned beyond Black History Month. Bring de famlee and jayn we!
- March 8-10 The Black Folks Land Legacy Conference on St. Helena Island, SC
- March 13, 2018 6-7:30 pm Gullah/Geechee Preparing for Storms and Emergencies Workshop at the St. Helena Branch Library https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullahgeechee-preparing-for-storms-and-emergencies-workshop-tickets-41537658254?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&aff=esfb&utm-source=fb&utm-term=listing
- April 7, 2018 Gullah/Geechee Gold Rice Festival at the St. Helena Island Community Market https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullahgeechee-gold-rice-festival-tickets-33639130545
- April 14, 2018 11 am to 5 pm Coastal Cultures Conference at St. Helena Branch Library
• May 5, 2018 Gullah/Geechee Bike & Beauty at the St. Helena Island Community Market https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullahgeechee-bike-beauty-2018-tickets-41681986945
• June 2, 2018 Juke Joint Jam at MJ’s Black Music Month Celebration on St. Helena Island, SC https://www.eventbrite.com/e/juke-joint-jam-at-mjs-tickets-41538971181
- June 1-3, 2018 Realities of Reconstruction Conference in Beaufort and St. Helena Island, SC https://www.eventbrite.com/e/realities-of-reconstruction-conference-tickets-41538624143
- August 3-5, 2018 Gullah/Geechee Nation International Music & Movement Festival in Charleston, SC http://gullahgeechee.info/
- October 27, 2018 Gullah/Geechee Seafood Festival at Hunting Island Nature Center
We encourage you to support Gullah/Geechee owned restaurants and business during “Black History Month” and beyond. Disya gwine git hunnuh ta we:
Fa mo bout wha gwine on follow we @GullahGeechee on Twitter and Instagram and at
- Posted in: Gullah/Geechee Businesses and Industries ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: Black History Month, cultural heritage, events, Geechee, Gullah, gullah geechee nation, Gullah./Geechee Angel Network, Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition, Sea Islands
Is there a Gullah language book.
No. Our language is oral. The books that you see that state that they are teaching your our language were done to gain money from tourists. You can see how our language would be represented via the linguistic alphabet by purchasing “The Legacy of Ibo Landing: Gullah Roots of African American Culture” at http://www.GullahGeechee.biz.