Gullah/Geechee an de Environmental Movement-Balancing the Blessed
The Gullah/Geechee Nation exists from Jacksonville, NC to Jacksonville, FL. Within the boundaries of the Nation are the Sea Islands which are barriers islands that buffer the mainland of the United States from many of the hurricanes, floods, and even some of the rapid erosion that has increased due to climate change issues and overbuilding in this critically sensitive area. In spite of this, Gullah/Geechees are not often thought of as those involved in the environmental movement. So, on this episode of “Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio” Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com), who is the host of this weekly broadcast sponsored by the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition, (www.gullahgeechee.net) discusses several things that the Gullah/Geechee Nation is currently involved in through partners of the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition including:
• Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development http://www.uncsd2012.org/
• America’s Great Outdoors and the White House Conference on Conservation
• The EPA Region 4 Conference http://epa.gov/region4/ej/ejsavedateflyer.pdf
• Queen Quet’s “Gullah/Geechee SEA and ME” project for “TogetherGreen” which involves bringing Gullah/Geechee families together for “Gullah/Geechee Famlee Days” at Edisto Island on August 3, 2012 at 3 pm (This will be part of the opening day of the “Gullah/Geechee Nation International Music & Movement Festival™” www.gullahgeechee.info.) and Hunting Island Nature Center on Labor Day 2012. For details email GullGeeCo@aol.com.
Queen Quet discusses the traditional methods that have been passed down by Gullah/Geechee eiders concerning how to live in balance with the earth and all the living creatures therein. She provides details from “De Land da We: Gullah/Geechee Sustainability” workshop and report.
Tune een an yeddi we sho-Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio!
Gullah/Geechees Een de Environment Balancing Blessings
- Posted in: Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: conservation, culture, environmental movement, Geechee, Gull, Gullah, Gullah/Geechee Nation, Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio, Queen Quet, Rio+20, seafood, sustainability, the future we want, Together Green, traditions, waterways
Reblogged this on Beaufort County Historical Resources Consortium.
really impressed! everything is very open and very clear explanation of issues. it contains truly information. your website is very useful. thanks for sharing. looking forward to more!http://www.casaemail.com.br