Hollywood’s “Underground” in the Gullah/Geechee Nation
The WGN hit series, “Underground” found its way to the Gullah/Geechee Nation to shoot Season 2. Not only did they film in Savannah, GA, the story is set on the Sea Islands. Numerous native Gullah/Geechees will appear in the coming season. In order to authenticate the Gullah/Geechee traditions and songs that are depicted, Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com) was brought in to be the Gullah/Geechee Consultant for the series.
Queen Quet who just celebrated her anniversary as an Association of African American Life and History (ASALH) “Living Legend” is a native of historic St. Helena Island, SC. Queen Quet is no stranger to working with Hollywood. She was also the Gullah/Geechee Heritage Consultant for the Hollywood blockbuster, “The Patriot.” She has appeared in feature films, TV shows, and numerous documentaries. As much as she enjoys being on camera, she enjoys helping to write and direct. She got a chance to work with all of these aspects of this season’s “Underground.”
Queen Quet was also one of the people that led the establishment of the “National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom.” She has spent decades working on Underground Railroad research and has toured with her own production, “The Underground Railroad: A Geechee Girl’s Escape.” It tells the story of a young woman running from the Sea Islands during the period of chattel enslavement whereas “Underground” has folks coming to the Gullah/Geechee Nation.
Many that come to St. Helena Island seek out two of their natives that are known around the world-Queen Quet and American Idol winner, Candice Glover. They will get a chance to see them on their screens from the comfort of their own homes shortly as these two get to proudly represent their ancestors on “Underground” which premieres on WGN on March 8th. They want everyone to RISE UP and tune in! E gwine be a time!
Fa lil taste a wha cumin pun “Underground” wha da Gullah/Geechee, tek a look a disya and see:
- Posted in: Carolina Gold Rice ♦ Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Films ♦ Gullah/Geechee Land Ownership & Rights ♦ Gullah/Geechee Music ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Human Rights ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: Candice Glover, enslavement, freedom, GA, Geechee, Georgia, Gullah, Gullah/Geechee Nation, land ownership, land rights, Queen Quet, Savannah, SC, Sea Islands, slavery, South Carolina, St. Helena Island, television series, TV, Underground, Underground Railroad, Underground Railroad Network to Freedom, WGN
- Queen Quet of the Gullah/Geechee Appears in “Exiled from History: America’s Maroons” | Gullah/Geechee Nation
- Gullah/Geechee Ezine De Conch March 2017 Edition | Gullah/Geechee Nation
- I Was Free and They Should Be Free! Harriet Tubman Journey of the Gullah/Geechee | Gullah/Geechee Nation
- Corona Chronicle 7-Pandemic, Protest, and PTSD in the Black Community | Gullah/Geechee Nation
Proud of the human rights work and dedication to cultural authenticity that Queen Quet represents. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more! Thank you!
Tenki Tenki fa Hunnuh Support Ms. Asfaw!
Love the series and the heritage deplcted about our culture and ancestors. So much hase been hidden and not written or discussed in our so called education system in America. The existed long after emancipation just in a different manner. Thanks for reminding people of all cultures thete was more than one Hollocaust.