Celebrating Gullah/Geechee een SC!
As spring begins and planting season takes place in the Gullah/Geechee Nation, opportunities to engage with Gullah/Geechee culture blooms. A series of events and celebrations highlighting the living legacy of the Gullah/Geechee will be taking place throughout SC:
• Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 11 am De Gullah/Geechee: Voices of a Living African Legacy
Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation, Elder Carlie Towne, Representative Glenda Simmons-Jenkins, and artist Anastatia Ketchens will present for the “Deckle Edge Literary Festival” at the Booker T. Washington Auditorium in Columbia, SC. The event is open to the public and is FREE.
- Saturday, April 13, 2019 Coastal Cultures Conference at Hunting Island, SC
Join the Gullah/Geechee Sustainability Think Tank at their annual conference focused on “Healin’ de Land and Holdin’ pun de Culcha.” Register at
- Saturday, May 4, 2019 Gullah/Geechee Bike & Beauty St. Helena Island, SC
Calling all Black bikers in celebration of Biker Month! Join the Gullah/Geechee Famlee in celebrating the history of Black bikers and at this competition of Black bikers. Ride out and roll on to historic St. Helena Island, SC! Register yourself and your crew and come on through:
- Saturday, July 27, 2019 Gullah/Geechee Famlee Day at Mosquito Beach
Bring the entire family for this reunion at historic Mosquito Beach in Charleston County, SC as we launch Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week! Support the businesses of Mosquito Beach and enjoy the day mixing and mingling with Gullah/Geechees from throughout the Gullah/Geechee Nation. Download passes in advance at:
Cum fa jayn de Gullah/Geechee Famlee and yeddi frum we who webe!
- Posted in: Carolina Gold Rice ♦ Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Gullah/Geechee Businesses and Industries ♦ Gullah/Geechee Crafts ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Fishing Association ♦ Gullah/Geechee Foodways ♦ Gullah/Geechee Health and Healing ♦ Gullah/Geechee Land Ownership & Rights ♦ Gullah/Geechee Language and Linguistics ♦ Gullah/Geechee Music ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: Black history, books, Carolina Gold Rice, celebrations, Coastal Cultures Conference, Columbia, cultural heritage, Deckle Edge, events, festivals, Geechee, Georgetown, Gullah, gullah geechee nation, Gullah/Geechee Bike & Beauty, Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week, history, Queen Quet, Sandy Island, South Carolina, St. Helena Island