Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week to be Celebrated Throughout the Coast
“Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week” began in 2012 in the City of Charleston, SC. Since then, the celebration has grown to encompass the counties and townships of the Gullah/Geechee Nation in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. This year, the theme of the celebration is “Fa We Ancestas.” The Gullah/Geechee Nation is proud that this week is part of the global activities for the “United Nations International Decade of People of African Descent.” The “Gullah/Geechee Famlee Day” launch celebration for the week will take place at Island Breeze on historic Mosquito Beach in Charleston, SC (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/gullahgeechee-famlee-day-at-mosquito-beach-2017-tickets-33510881)
and thereafter, those that are interested in learning about and supporting the continuing historical legacy of the Gullah/Geechee Nation
• the ribbon cutting on Sunday, July 30th from 1 to 5 pm at the Heyward House in Bluffton, SC where enslavement cabins and big house built by Gullah/Geechee has been restored. While in the town, people should journey over to the Garvin-Garvey House to learn about this historic Gullah/Geechee family home that continues to stand proudly along the May River.
• the “American Gullah” exhibition at the landmark St. Helena Branch Library during the entire week of celebration. They will be able to discuss the journey of these works at an artist talk with the creator of this powerful collection, Sonja Griffin Evans on Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 2:30 pm to conclude the performances and workshops at the library as part of the “Gullah/Geechee Nation International Music & Movement Festival™” (www.GullahGeechee.info).
• Thursday, August 3rd is “Queen Quet Day” in Brunswick, GA! Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com) request the presents of everyone at the Glynn County Council meeting wherein they will present their “Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week Proclamation” as a gift on her day.
• August 4-6, 2016 the entire “Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week” will culminate with the “Gullah/Geechee Nation International Music & Movement Festival™” on historic St. Helena Island, SC. The celebration begins with De Gullah Root Experience Tour (www.gullahgeechee.net) at Noon. Those arriving that evening will be part of a welcoming “Party with a Purpose Juke Joint Jam at MJ’s Soul Food” on Sea Island Parkway on St. Helena Island, SC.
Saturday, August 5th from Noon to 6 pm is “Gullah/Geechee Reunion Day” at the landmark St. Helena Branch Library and the St. Helena Island Community Market.
Sunday, August 6th participants in the celebration are encouraged to worship at a spiritual center in the Gullah/Geechee Nation and then at 3 pm to gather at Hunting Island, SC for a massive drumming and ancestral tribute.
Throughout the course of the entire week, people should stop and sign in at the “Gullah/Geechee Visitors Center” in Beaufort, SC. When they shop there, they will receive Gullah/Geechee dollars that they can present to Queen Quet whenever they see her during that week.
Make sure to bring drums, tambourines, and chairs to the activities!
Jayn we and bring de famlee! #GullahGeechee
Webe Gullah/Geechee Anointed Peepol!
- Posted in: Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ♦ Gullah/Geechee Businesses and Industries ♦ Gullah/Geechee Crafts ♦ Gullah/Geechee Events ♦ Gullah/Geechee Fishing Association ♦ Gullah/Geechee Foodways ♦ Gullah/Geechee Land Ownership & Rights ♦ Gullah/Geechee Language and Linguistics ♦ Gullah/Geechee Music ♦ Gullah/Geechee Ourstory ♦ Gullah/Geechee Riddim Radio Education Links ♦ Gullah/Geechee TV Educational Links ♦ Human Rights ♦ Queen Quet ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: Black history, celebration, cultural heritage, festival, Geechee, Gullah, Gullah/Geechee Nation, Gullah/Geechee Nation Appreciation Week, Gullah/Geechee Nation International Music & Movement Festival, Queen Quet, Sea Islands